5 facts about weight gain and contraception
Here are facts about weight gain and contraception:
1. If you think you have gained weight you probably have gained a few pounds. Keep track of your weight when beginning a contraceptive method.
2. Studies do confirm that some women gain weight when beginning DMPA. However, it may be in the range of 10 lbs.
3. Weight gain on contraceptives may in fact be due to gaining fat, as one study reported on DMPA, or the depo-Provera injection. Fat, not just more muscle. Three years in the users gained 11 pounds, 9 of it fat.
4. The scale may not accurately predict fat, but we can check that with our body composition DXA machine. Probably what fat you get will be in your midsection.
5. Just switching to an OC pill won't get the fat off, you have to go non-hormonal. May be a good choice but lots of non-contraceptive benefits of hormones that you may also be giving up. So think twice, email me back, call the nurse, yes, tough decisions and it's only through that really good pro/con list that you can make the best decision!