News Released Wednesday, January 31, 2007 from the New England Journal of Medicine suggests that repeated topical use of products containing lavender oil and/or tea tree oil may cause prepubertal gynecomastia, a rare condition resulting in enlarged breast tissue in boys prior to puberty, and for which a cause is seldom identified.
1. These essential oils might now be considered endocrine disruptors since they appeared to have caused an imbalance in estrogen and androgen signaling.
2. Endocrine disruptors are naturally occurring compounds or synthetic chemicals that may interfere with the production or activity of hormones of the endocrine system leading to adverse health effects. For a Fact sheet from The National Institute of Environmental Health Sciences (NIEHS) and NIH.
3. In 1962, Rachel Carson's ‘A Silent Spring' claimed pesticide use harmed health of humans and animals.
4. Worldwide male sperm counts were proven NOT to be declining due to wide spread exposure to endocrine disrupters. But obesity is known to disrupt hormones and cause abnormal hormonal side effects such as male gynecomastia.
5. Gynecomastia in obese men is primarily enlargement of fat, not actual breast tissue. CoolSculpting cryolipolisis is effective non-invasive way to deal with unwanted breast fat. For consultation, call Hada Cosmetic Medicine 217-693-4400